More than 1000 cotton growers and industry representatives gathered tonight to celebrate the recipients of the 2016 Australian Cotton Industry Awards.
Recipients in the five categories of the Awards were honoured in a ceremony held at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.
The Awards program recognises excellence and achievement in Australia’s cotton industry throughout the supply chain, from growers and ginners to product suppliers, consultants, agronomists and researchers.
The 2016 Australian Cotton Industry Awards recipients are:
- Monsanto Grower of the Year: Connamara Partnership – Ian, Marilyn and Harry Carter (“Connamara”, Pine Ridge, NSW) - pictured
- AgriRisk High Achiever of the Year: Commins Partnership - Tim and Roger Commins (“Tiralee”, Whitton, NSW)
- Chris Lehmann Trust Young Achiever of the Year, sponsored by Bayer CropScience: Rebecca Fing (Goondiwindi, Qld)
- Cotton Seed Distributors Researcher of the Year: Dr Guy Roth (Roth Rural, Narrabri, NSW)
- IPF Service to Industry Award: John Marshall (Toowoomba, Qld)
Cotton Australia CEO Adam Kay says entrants in this year's Awards were of a very high calibre, which made the judges' job difficult.
“We had a substantial number of nominations for the Awards program this year, all of them deserving in many ways,” Mr Kay says.
“I know the judges found it quite hard to select recipients from amongst the finalists, all of whom have contributed greatly to our industry.”
“Every year the Australian Cotton Industry Awards celebrate not just the great work and personal commitment of the recipients and finalists, but also the commitment of everyone throughout the cotton supply chain.”
“Even though all of this year's finalists contributed greatly to our industry, unfortunately there can be only one recipient in each category."
"All of this year's recipients are fantastic ambassadors for the industry, and I heartily congratulate them all.”
Mr Kay says the Awards dinner was a huge success, bringing together growers and industry representatives from all corners of Australia’s cotton-growing valleys.
Sponsors of this year’s Awards were:
- Bayer CropScience
- Cotton Seed Distributors
Click here for more information