More than 380 cotton growers and industry representatives gathered tonight to celebrate the recipients of the 2017 Australian Cotton Industry Awards.
For the first time in the history of the awards, recipients for the Awards’ five categories were announced in a ceremony held in Griffith, Southern NSW.
The Awards program recognises excellence and achievement in Australia’s cotton industry throughout the supply chain, from growers and ginners to product suppliers, consultants, agronomists and researchers.
The 2017 Australian Cotton Industry Awards recipients are:
- Monsanto Cotton Grower of the Year: Cavaso Farming – Tony, Joyce, Matt and Daisy Toscan, Darlington Point, NSW.
- AgriRisk Cotton High Achiever of the Year: CSD Farming - Mark Cathcart (“CSD Farms”, Wee Waa, NSW)
- ADAMA Chris Lehmann Trust Young Cotton Achiever of the Year: Fiona Norrie (Moree, NSW)
- Cotton Seed Distributors Researcher of the Year: Dr Paul Grundy and Dr Stephen Yeates (QDAF, Toowoomba & CSIRO Ayr, QLD)
- IPF Service to Cotton Industry Award: Michael Bennett (“Killowen”, Narromine, NSW)
Cotton Australia CEO Adam Kay says all entrants in the Awards were of an extremely high standard once again.
“We had a substantial number of strong nominations for the Awards program this year, and all are deserving in many ways,” Mr Kay says.
“I know the judges found it very difficult to select recipients from the finalists, all of whom have contributed greatly to our industry.”
“The Australian Cotton Industry Awards are an important way of showcasing those who are achieving great things, and also a way of discovering new ambassadors for the industry.”
“Unfortunately there can be only one recipient in each category, and our recipients this year are a great example of the commitment of everyone throughout the cotton supply chain. I congratulate them all.”
Mr Kay says the Awards dinner was a huge success, bringing together growers and industry representatives from all corners of Australia’s cotton-growing valleys.
Sponsors of this year’s Awards were Monsanto, AgriRisk, ADAMA, Cotton Seed Distributors and IPF.