This Wednesday, AgForce members and staff stood shoulder-to-shoulder with 300 like-minded regional Queenslanders to protest the unfair and ineffective Reef Protection Bill.
The ‘Reject the Reef Regs’ Rally in Townsville was a powerful display of community opposition to the laws and of the desire to create solutions that ensure the sustainability of both Reef and agriculture.
Their message was delivered directly and loudly to the Queensland Premier and Cabinet who were attending the Community Parliament held in Townsville.
AgForce CEO Michael Guerin delivered a powerful speech to close the event (read it on the AgForce website) and led the crowd in chanting ‘fair laws for farmers.’
“The Government must now decide whether they want to consider the views of regional Queenslanders in amending the Bill – even taking it back to the drawing board – or whether they would rather pander to the fundamentalist greens lobby,” Mr Guerin said.
“To do so would risk crushing the vibrant Queensland agriculture industry and the many communities which rely upon it.”
Communities concerned about this issue shouldn’t have long to wait to find out whether their concerns will be acted upon. The Bill is expected to be debated and decided in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, you can still help stand with regional Queenslanders.
- Sign the Reject the Regs petition
- Learn more at our Reef Regulations Roadshow event, 11-13 September with Professor Peter Ridd.
- Write to the Premier, the Minister for Environment and Science and your local MP to explain the impact the laws will have on your farm business and family
- Share photos, videos and news reports from the morning via Facebook and Instagram using the hashtag #standupforqldag
- Visit the Stand Up for Regional Queensland website.
Farmers are still in this fight, and we need to keep fighting, to show that primary producers and other Regional Queenslanders will NOT be ignored.