This Sunday, May 10 marks Mother’s Day and what better way to celebrate than whipping up a delicious and quick meal for the entire family to enjoy.
Aussie pork is a staple for special occasions, whether it be a roast and crackling on Christmas day or a bacon and egg roll on Mother’s Day morning, pork is always a good choice!
Australian Pork have a number of delicious pork recipes and have mixed things up this Mother’s Day, suggesting a bacon, egg and tomato tart for an extra special Mother’s Day brekkie.
Bacon, Egg & Tomato Tart
- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry
- 1 tablespoons olive oil + extra for greasing
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 6 Australian rindless streaky bacon rashers, halved lengthways
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup pure cream
- ½ cup coarsely grated parmesan
- 250g grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced.
- Grease a 30cm x 20cm slice pan with oil. Line pan with partially thawed pastry, joining sheets to fit the pan. Turn excess pastry on pan edges over to form a 1cm border. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and just cooked through. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes until onion is softened. Set aside to cool slightly. Sprinkle onion mixture over pastry base.
- Arrange bacon rashers over onions. Combine eggs and cream in a bowl. Season to taste. Whisk until well combined. Gently pour egg mixture over onion. Arrange tomatoes on the tart.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until egg mixture is set. Drizzle tart with basil pesto, slice and serve.
Want to have a crack at making your own pesto? Try the below recipe!