This Mediterranean twist on a classic winter casserole is the perfect seasonal transition dish as we prepare to welcome spring, next week. Made from the best Aussie beef and served with mashed potato and veg, this hearty meal is a sure dinner winner.
1kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef, cut into 3cm pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
2 cups (500ml) beef stock
400g can tomatoes
120g baby spinach
1 tbsp Tuscan seasoning
400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
150g green beans
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan-forced). Place beef in a large snap lock bag or dish, add half the oil, season and mix well.
- Heat a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches, setting beef aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil. Add onion, carrot, celery and Tuscan seasoning. Cook, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in flour, stir until vegetables are coated. Gradually pour in stock stirring well. Return beef to the pan with any juices and add tomatoes, stirring until the mixture boils.
- Cover casserole dish, place in oven and cook until beef is very tender (2 to 2 ½ hours), stirring occasionally, adding extra stock or water if necessary. Remove from oven, stir in chickpeas and baby spinach leaves and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes.
For more cooking tips, recipes and information head to Australian Beef.