Enjoy Aussie lamb rack the best way possible… with a decadent plum sauce, served alongside fresh spring vegetables. Utilising a hint of chilli, this sweet and savoury dish is best paired with rice and a scattering of sesame seeds. The best bit? This dish only takes 15 minutes to prepare and 35 to cook, making it the perfect quick (yet delicious) dinner choice!
8-cutlet lamb rack, excess fat trimmed
1/3 cup plum sauce
2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut in half lengthways
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp chilli flakes
6 radishes, finely sliced
½ bunch baby carrots, peeled, finely sliced
1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
To serve: Jasmine rice, black sesame seeds, green onions, thinly sliced, coriander sprigs
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180° fan-forced). Place lamb in the centre of a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush lamb with plum sauce, season and cook for 30-35 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven, place on a plate loosely covered with foil and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place cucumbers in a colander, sprinkle with a large pinch of salt and set aside to drain for 10 minutes. On a chopping board cut cucumbers into 6cm lengths. Place cut side of cucumbers down on the board and gently smash cucumbers with the back of a knife. In a large bowl place half the vinegar, half the sugar, oil, soy sauce and chilli flakes. Stir well to combine, add cucumbers and toss well to coat.
- In a medium bowl place remaining vinegar and sugar and stir well to combine. Add radishes, carrots and coriander seeds and toss well to coat.
- Slice lamb racks into individual cutlets and serve with cucumbers, pickles and rice. Garnish with green onions, sesame seeds and coriander sprigs.
- Lamb rump, leg steaks or cutlets would also work well in this recipe.
- Swap the plum sauce for any other Asian sauce of your choice – try hoisin, char siu, black bean or sweet chilli.
- Make sure you rest the lamb to maximise tenderness and lock in the juices – rest the lamb rack for 5-10 minutes.